During summer and autumn 2020, we produced this documentary highlighting some of the fascinating stories uncovered through the Celebrating City Women research process.
Featuring interviews with historians, artists and curators – among others – we take you back in time and discover the stories of some truly remarkable women who subverted gender norms in their era.
Fast forward to 2019, and Guildhall Art Gallery launched a search for an inaugural Guildhall artist-in-residence. Applicants responded to the theme of ‘celebrating City women’ and Hannah Starkey was chosen for this residency. You may have seen Hannah’s epic and heroic images, capturing real contemporary women in the City and reflecting and celebrating the diversity of the women themselves. This documentary also takes you behind the scenes of her process – what inspires her and how she goes about shooting these carefully choreographed Mise en Scene.
Interviews and filming were conducted adhering to COVID-19 safety measures throughout production.
- Kesheniwa Aghaji – Artist
- Wendy Hyde – Chair, City of London Corporation’s Culture, Heritage and Libraries Committee
- Laura Miller – Historian
- Katherine Pearce – Curator, Guildhall Art Gallery
- Virginia Rounding – Historian
- Charlotte Scott – Assistant Director, London Metropolitan Archives
- Hannah Starkey – Photographer / Guildhall Artist in Residence 2019
Copyright City of London Corporation 2021.